Saturday, January 31, 2009

just finished

Jhumpa Lahiri's Unaccustomed Earth. I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did, especially since her previous works didn't speak to me so much. The stories in this book were so honest, and some of the lines just slid into my brain like they were always there. I think Deeps was saying how you saw yourself in almost every character. I didn't understand that until I read it. I wonder if our experience as immigrants and children of immigrants is that universal?

2 Comments:

Blogger Muni Meltdown said...

First post!!!!

February 01, 2009 10:55 AM  
Blogger Zworld said...

I don't know if immigrant experiences are that universal but there's definitely a kinship that I feel with other immigrants. we've traded some very similar stories over the years!

so... though I am not Indian, trust me when I tell you there are many moments when I disappointed my mother. not the least of which is when I decided to [horror of horrors!] spend a coveted semester abroad in Jamaica at UWI rather than going to England or France or somewhere else. here's how it went:

mum: so many people work so hard to have the opportunity to come to the US, and you want to go back?!?!

me: yes, mums, I am an evil ingrate of a child.

mum: lord have mercy on this child!

but I had a great time! it was great living with my aunts, uncles and cousins while going to school, the beach, etc, etc for 9 whole months.

when I got back mum said "ok it was good for you. fine." :-)

February 02, 2009 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home